How to Backup your Tumblr
I was just semi-complaining that I was still looking for a decent way to backup my +6k posts without having to use paid services or even just wordpress (which has an import from tumblr tool that asks for permission to access your blog and also make posts), when I decided to actually put some effort into my google search.Ā
Results were positive: I have successfully backed up my blog*Ā
*By which I mean: everything that I have ever posted.Ā
Not included: drafts, queue, likes, followers, following, comments, notes, chat.Ā
I followed this method (word by word), and now have a 450 MB folder on my computer with the name of my blog on it containing:Ā
1. FolderĀ āArchiveā (contains .html files listed by month)
2. FolderĀ āMediaā (contains gifs and images, mine has +1k files in it; might contain also audios but I have no way of confirming that because Iāve never reblogged an audio post from this blog)
3. FolderĀ āPostsā (contains single .html files, each one a post; I have +4k files in it)
4. FolderĀ āThemeā (contains only my avatar, but it might be a matter of if you have personalized themes or not)
5. .html file āIndexā (by opening it it will give you the archive of your blog organized by month; clicking on a month will open up the archive for that month, and youāll be able to read all the posts for that month as if you were on your blog**, except sans your theme graphic, with each page containing 50 posts)
**I can see gifs, links, embedded videos, tags, number of notes (but I canāt open up the notes, clearly), text is also correctly formatted.Ā
So yeah, in case anyone wants a very quick way to back up their blog, it took me less than 10 minutes.Ā
P.S. I didnāt have any issue, but to be on the safe side always check for spyware and virus threats before and after downloading anything.Ā
this is actually really useful if you have an art blog full of years of work that you otherwise no longer have access to the original files. A lot of the art I have in the early days of my art blog are in that boat. I did this process JUST for that reason and I was pretty astonished at just how many pieces of media it backs up! (literally all of it) Drawings I didnāt even realize were sitting in my archive due to having been posted to text posts or undercuts, or untagged for years! Itās worth it if just for that, even if tumblr isnāt shutting down or deleting your blog.
This is just for windows users, but just in case some of my followers can use it!