not be like “ugh the Youths” but i think kids nowadays have gotten Too Comfortable on the internet.
like i see these tweets on twitter like “hey im 14 and i just got kicked out pls rt so i can find somewhere to stay im in x state/city” and like HOLY SHIT i cannot emphasize enough how incredibly dangerous this is. you’re broadcasting to EVERYONE that you are young, vulnerable, and desperate AND information on how to find you!!!! like i know you meant for that to be just for your friends on twitter but that’s a public tweet!!! ANYONE could see it!!! like I saw it and i have no idea who you are you are not in my circle and yet!!! so like WHO ELSE has seen it!!!
This girl on among us have me her number and turns out she’s 13. It was like 3am and she proceeded to tell me the name of her town, what school she went to, both of her parents jobs, how she did in class, what her home life is like, the first names of all of her friends, ect. All of this mostly unprompted. The smartest thing she did was ask to FaceTime me to make sure I ‘wasn’t a 40yo catfish’ and she talked about the other kids that she had met on among us this way.
To any kids out there: I know that quarantine is stressful and we’re all depressed and lonely bu please please please don’t give out your information to strangers on the internet, and if you do there are dozens of safer options than just giving everything to everyone and just hoping for the best
My little sister is 14 and she gave out her information to the wrong person who shared it somewhere and she can now count on two hands the number of teens and young adults who have asked for nudes and favors and personal information. It’s really worsening her anxiety and anorexia so please I’m begging you don’t give out any of your information unless you explicitly trust the person you’re giving it to.
Stranger danger yall. And if you’re ever wondering what you could do to keep yourself safe, here’s a list.
1. Use an alias (don’t have to but doesn’t hurt, especially when you have a unique name)
2. NEVER give your last name! (E.g. if you’re Jessica, aint no way they gonna be able to find you without your last name. Don’t risk it)
3. NEVER give your address (things like country is still vague enough. But if you tell anyone your street or something super identifiable)
4. You don’t have to post photos of yourself! (You can if you want to but remember to be careful! Street names and addresses should not be visible in these photos!)
5. Block creeps. Anyone that ya getting bad vibes from, just block em. Don’t be scared about being “mean”. Protect yourself.
This is all from the top of my head so if anyone wants to add go ahead. Let’s help protect the younglings.